Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Miss Kelly I Puked in my Bed!"

Every fall we start the new school year off with a bang! Or maybe I should say "BLUTH"... As in the sound one makes when throwing up... So what on earth am I talking about, you might be wondering. Well, as most know, preschool children are germy! Children in general are just germ havens! So therefore I spend a great deal of time at the beginning of the school year reinforcing proper handwashing techniques and I drill it into their little brains that they all have germs on their hands and so they must wash their hands all the time! Of course I try not to freak them out and turn them into little OCD handwashers, but seriously have you seen how many times a preschooler will put their hands in their mouth... or nose! Ick!

The most effective thing I do to reinforce the importance of handwashing is to read the book Those Mean Nasty Dirty Downright Disgusting but Invisible Germs to my class. I kid you not when I say this, this book becomes the number one book of choice for the rest of the entire year! It is every childs favorite! Hands down!

Not only is this book the all time favorite, I would have to say that this book elicits the most stories and personal connections of any other book I read the rest of the year. Every child can relate to being sick. They all have stories to tell. Sometimes they have stories to tell about other people as well. Today the best was my Monday Wednesday morning class. They all started sharing their puke stories when we read about the germ that makes you throw up. They all were raising their hands telling me how many times they had thrown up before. Once, twice, 1,000 times... One little boy raised his hand and said "Miss Kelly I even puked in my bed! It was so Bisgusting." The look on his face that accompanied his comment made this twice as hilarious! Oh the joys of talking about GERMS!
Check out the book yourself!
Those Mean Nasty Dirty Downright Disgusting But Invisible Germs

No comments: